Welcome to this Online Module on the effective use of mobile devices (smartphones and tablets) for professional development and learner engagement.
Today, technology has advanced so fast in such a way that availability of mobile devices has been ubiquitous. The costs of devices and internet has also come down enabling access to these devices in many numbers.
Teachers, on the other hand, many teachers now own smartphones. These can be explored in many ways to be able to improve the teaching and learning if they know how to use them effectively. This online course will be very helpful in helping teachers in two ways:
1. To improve their profession in many ways
2. To engage their students, especially in times of pandemics line Covid-19.
At the end of this course you should be able to:
- Introduced to the different distance education technologies used in teaching and learning
- Effectively use smartphones in teaching and professional development
- The use of different mobile phones in teaching and learning
- Introduced to the basics of emotional intelligence.
- Different techniques to engage students
In-service school teachers, per-service teachers, College Tutors and OER creators.
There will be two types of certificates to participants:
- Certificate of Completion: Constant participation in ALL Discussion Forums and completion of all quizzes and activities with at least 50% score.
- Certificate of Participation: Participation in at least 2 Discussion Forums and the creation and completion of any 3 assignments with a score between 25% to 49%
Have you ever asked a teacher trainer exactly how he/she became a trainer? What answer did you get? Have you had a chance to train a few teachers on some topics? The course consists of modules to help you develop the necessary skills to become a teacher trainer. It starts with a few activities that you will go through and then builds on the responses to provide you with skills you need to become an effective teacher trainer.
This is an introductory course to school teachers in the wake to use technology in teaching and learning. It consists of topics that help the teachers be able to start from where they are, by using their mobile phones to move forward and start using some tech tools to improve their teaching practices.
Thye following are the topics that were covered.
Welcome to this 21st Century Course for Teachers
In the 20th century, we experienced a teacher-centered type of teaching where the teacher was the giver of knowledge and where students sat in rows of desks to listen, take notes and memorize.
In this 21st century, there are many transformations in education that have taken place, which need teachers to shift from teacher-centeredness to learner-centredness, changing our roles to becoming facilitators. It all starts with the skills we want our learners to get, how they get them and how they will benefit them.
Technology in the classroom is one enabler to improve student learning in many ways. It involves making students talk about what they are learning, share with others, collaborate and apply everything in their daily life to solve problems. These are 21st-century learner skills.
This 4-week online course will help school teachers, instructors, educators to improve your teaching practices. It has topics that will help you change and become a 21st-century teacher. The content is designed to cater to the diverse participants from Africa, with examples from live classrooms in Tanzania.
Incentives to Successful Participants
- All participants who successfully complete all activities will be awarded certificates of completion.
- Guidance on how to create learning communities afer the end of the course.
You are all welcome.